Questionable Wisdom from a Mom who Tries Too Hard...

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Martha


I have been humbled by my seven-year-old.  Yesterday, I was getting my Sunday School lesson together, and she offered to help me cut some things out.  OK, I begged and pleaded and finally ordered her to help, but…  She was cutting out pictures of Lazarus’ sisters, Mary and Martha.  (Remember Lazarus?  He died.  But Jesus raised him. )

So, she asked me who they were and what my lesson was about.  I told her the story from Luke 10, where Jesus came to visit Lazarus, Mary, and Martha.  Martha rushed around, cleaning and cooking, and making everything just perfect for her visitor, but Mary just sat at Jesus’ feet, listening to him and talking to him.  Well, Martha was having none of this, and charged into the room and told Jesus, the Son of God, that he needed to make Mary help clean and cook and make things perfect!

Here comes the part of the story I always have trouble with.  Jesus told Martha that SHE had it wrong, and Mary was doing just what she needed to do!

The reason this story is so difficult, is that I am a Martha.  I see myself as a servant.  I really struggle with the need to make sure that things are perfect all of the time, and the house is sparkling clean, and the food is cooked perfectly, and that everyone in my presence is having a good time.  And I never understood how Martha wanting to make sure everything was just right for Jesus was wrong! 

At this point, Little Miss pipes up, “Mommy, you need to do that.”  “Do what honey?” I ask, already focused on the next task rather than our conversation. “You need to stop working all of the time and start enjoying what is going on!  Jesus won’t care if the house isn’t clean.” 

Holy carp. 

She’s totally right. 

Here my seven-year-old gets this story that I have been struggling with for years.  Jesus doesn’t care if my house is clean.  Jesus doesn’t care if the food tastes good.  Jesus just wants me to sit by him and listen to him and be his friend.

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! It's nearly impossible for me to let go and be ok and at peace in the moment. A really smart friend told me just last night that it's not my job to make everyone else ok...put your feet up...the cleaning and everything else can wait! I-Lean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I-Lean...
    Your friend is very smart. :) You need to look after you and be thinking of you...Not how you think others see you. I'm sure that friend will be there for you whenever you need her--she's just a phone call away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now here is a 65-year-old being humbled by my granddaughter via my daughter. Gulp. Will I ever learn?

    ReplyDelete