Questionable Wisdom from a Mom who Tries Too Hard...

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day to All!!

When I was trying to have Little Miss, there were three things I hated:
1. People who asked when we were going to start a family
2. Baby Showers
3. Mother's Day


I hated Mother's Day.  I was happy to celebrate it with my Mom, but it was a day that reminded me that I was childless...even with an incredible amount of effort.  I'll admit it, I was jealous. I was yearning to fill my home with children that are out of my reach...that's what Mother's day was, a day that was simply a reminder of unfulfilled longings.


It got to the point where I had to be dragged out the door on Mother's Day.  So, Hubby did one year, to a church that we had only recently started attending.  About halfway through the service, Pastor Tom stood up to talk about Mother's Day.  I started to grab my purse so I could escape to the bathroom.


Suddenly, all of the women in the congregation were asked to stand up.  Pastor Tom started to commend us all as mothers...not merely to children, but to everyone in the church and in our lives.  


You see, whether or not you have a child, you are made with the ability to care for people unselfishly, giving up time and energy to those around you.  You mother the children (and adults!) in your family, your church, your life.  Basically, you don't have to give birth to a child to be a Mother!


So this Mother's Day while the world is celebrating motherhood, remember the "childless" too.  We all know the Proverbs 31 woman needs to be appreciated, but the 1 Samuel 1 woman does too.


Happy Mother's Day to all of the amazing women in my life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment